Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 2… Giza Pyramids, Sphinx and the Cairo Museum…

Our second full day was a little easier then our first. I think jet lag wasn’t as bad and so we had a little easier time then the day before.

Our first stop that day was at the Pyramids in the Giza Plateau. How beautiful they were but wish that the souvenir sellers would take no for an answer.

After we visited the main pyramid on the Giza Plateau, we went up higher where we could see all of the pyramids. We had a great time posing for the camera and then me getting up on a camel, it was more the experience of being on one, vs. riding one.

We took a quick tour of the Christian part of Egypt, including a quick look at where the holy family stayed for several months in a cave.

Our last stop of the day (and we just about didn’t have enough time) was this popular museum. I was not able to take pictures inside because they wouldn’t allow cameras inside the museum. The moment that I will always remember was being able to look at the funeral mask of King Tut. That is where I first started to think of my mom, her parents and her brother. They had always wanted to come to Egypt but they were all gone before that could happen. It first started with me when they went up to Seattle to see the King Tut tour in 1980… and knowing that it all started with that mask and that very young dead King. I couldn’t control the tears for a while, amazed they would come at that moment and thinking that it would just be a quick bit of emotion, but no, not that time.

While we were in the area, behind more glass (we think it might have been bullet proof) Doug did some figures about what the sarcophagus’ gold worth would be in todays market… $6.5 million… just in gold, not to say what it’s antiquity price would be.

This was a great day. The next day we would head to the city of Luxor to see the Valley of the Kings and The Temple of Karnak!

1 comment:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Great post, Stacey. I love looking at the pictures and even downloaded the one of you snuggling up to Charlie Brown (that's the camel's name, right?). And I know what you mean about getting emotional and teary-eyed thinking about your mom especially at times when you're enjoying something that you know she would enjoy too. I often do that with my folks and my brother too. It's just life, I guess . . . they are all dancing with the angels now!