Saturday, July 27, 2013

Reminiscing… Part 2

While Doug, Kaleb and I were eating dinner, we were talking about Israel and Egypt, which of course, is one of our favorite topics. So I thought that it was time to keep writing about what some of my memories are, good and bad. But mostly good!

When we were in Luxor for the day, we passed several area’s that have digs going on…. still!! The picture to the left is a stop we made to have our picture in front of and they were doing a lot of digging in this area. When I was looking at a book on Egypt after we got back, that area hadn’t been worked on yet. Just the two statues were showing.

In Israel, our host introduced us to a burger joint called Burger Bar. OMG!! So yummy! It was little like a fuddruckers, but they put the fixings on it. But one thing that threw me a bit, was that fact that you couldn’t get a cheeseburger… Oh well. It was good without it!

When we were in Israel. One of our first days we went to the city of Tel Aviv to a museum called the Palmach, which talked about history of Israel Defense Force or the IDF.  This was also where we met Ariel, and heard his story of his Aunt Mimi who was a nurse during the early years with the Palmach. She was quite well known in that time for the good work she did.

On our way to The Galilee area, we stopped at a Spice Farm. Oh, the lovely spices you could get there. We brought sooo much home with us, I was amazed that it passed through security! Cinnamon, dill, paprika, Strawberry/passion fruit dried for tea, mushroom mixture to mix in with rice, and others stuff came home with us.

On our second full day in Egypt we toured the Giza area. The big pyramids, the Sphinx, and then going to an overlook of the whole valley and getting up on a camel. Oh my.. how scary! But made for some great pictures!! It was odd getting on and off “Charlie Brown” and having him walk just the few steps that he went was strange and unsettling to me being a top such a huge creature.

On our way home we went from Tel Aviv to Newark airport. The longest leg of our journey and the worst landing possible! Several kids end up getting sick while landing. I’m so glad that I didn’t see or hear it because I would have joined them. I remember once we got through customs, I had a quick thought of kissing the ground. WE WERE BACK HOME!!

I think this will do it for some of my memories. Egypt and Israel are memories that I will always have.

No comments: