Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Homeschooling While Traveling

I was talking to a friend today while she dropped off her son to hang out and play vid’s with Kaleb and we got talking about what to do about homeschooling while we are on vacation. We will be gone for a day or two short of three weeks. I’ve been stressing a bit about continuing Kaleb on his regular school schedule, which really is my schedule. She reminded me of several things, one I thought that I would share now:

One… that you get so much more out of visiting places then you do reading or watching something about them. I reminded myself about us visiting Kennedy Space Center for 2 days and how much Kaleb (and Doug for that matter) got out of visiting the NASA hub! If on average a student spends 2 hours a week in a science class and they spent two days… that would be two months worth of regular science time. When Doug and Kaleb went and visited Pearl Harbor, Kaleb was able to take it all in… what regular classroom would be able to meet a 92 year old vet that had actually been working the day of the attack. The experience had a emotional effect on kaleb because it became real, not something read about or watched on TV.

This will be such a great experience for him, not just for seeing these things in his young life that his mom and dad have just been dreaming about for years, but for hopefully changing him too.

1 comment:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

You are so right in your thinking! I remember our daughters traveled with their grandparents for three weeks. The teachers at their school were very excited about their trip and what they would be able to see up close and personal. They have lifetime memories of those trips besides the education they received.