Saturday, May 06, 2006

"Can K come out and play?"

Those are new words for this mom. It is Saturday and I've had 2 different sets of kids come to our back door. K's not home but it's sweet that kids are asking for him.

In the past, we haven't lived in a place that kids play. When we lived in the desert, we lived in a golf course area and all around us were older folks, sweet people but no one around for a child to play with. Then when we lived in an apartment for a short time before the place we are living in now, we were on the back side, couldn't see where the kids were playing, so he didn't go out much, unless mom or dad took him to the neighborhood park.

Now, at the end of his 1st grade year, he has kids coming out of his ears. He's got the kids from the alley (we live with the garages in the back but no yards) and then his best buddy lives across from us and he plays with him alot (last week they played outside 3 different times--nice for him, nice for me too--I can see him better when he plays infront of their place in a big grassy area)

It will be interesting to see what happens this summer. He will probably be outside a bunch with his best friend D and then some with his "alley" friends.

Here comes summer!!

1 comment:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

I remember hearing those words and the feeling of pride that the kids on the block wanted to play with my girls. I liked it when they played at our house because I could keep an eye and hear on their play time. . . that way I felt I had control of the situation. It's amazing what words they can pick up playing with the kid whose family does not have the same values as yours. The gift of parenthood can't be beat!