Thursday, May 18, 2006

Mother's Day...

I've been thinking about Mother's Day since Sunday and what it means to me.

I'm a mother, so K and D celebrate it around me. K had made me two things, one was a card from church (which he hid from me so he could give it to me on the right day) and then a plaque from his homeschool class (which he also tried to hid as I picked him up) This year they took me to Sweet Tomatos for Brunch and then for dinner we went to Applebee's. It was a great day that included a hike with a couple of Tiger Cubs. It was a very full day.

But, I'm also missing my mother on Mother's Day...

My mom has been gone for 10 years now. If your reading my blog for the first time, my mom was 45 when she past and I was 24, the day before my 25th birthday. I know that is a long time ago, but sometimes (like writing this) it seems like it was just yesterday.

I miss my mom. I should be doing all the things that my friends are doing with their moms. Talking about kids, having heart-to-heart talks, seeing her enjoy grandkids, vacationing together. But, because of breast cancer, she was taken way to early. I was still having fun and doing my own thing. I guess I never thought that she wouldn't live to see grandkids.

But I do remember as a teenager trying to do her tolepainting with her. She was patient with me but I just didn't have the skill for it. And then when D and I were living in California, she would call me at work to just say hi. I still remember after she passed, I was sitting at my desk and it suddenly hit me that she wouldn't be calling me there anymore. It was a strange thing to hit me but I guess I looked forward to those "chats" more then I had thought. There are also other things that we had done with other family, like games with the gram Huyler and Uncle Tim and just hanging out with the Stantons whether it was a dinner like thanksgiving or just visiting. As I sit here it is great to remember those little things and the fun that we did share.

How do I end this blog?? I'm not sure other then to say I know I will always miss my mom no matter how old I get.

2 comments:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

I remember that day so well when you got a call from the hospital (I'm guessing from your dad). . . and you're right, you will always miss your mom. But just hold on to those wonderful memories and know that you'll meet again someday. I lost my dad five years ago . . . not the same as you because he was 86 years old—but so many times I can "feel" him with me, knowing that somehow he's with me enjoying whatever I'm doing and at that time thinking to myself "Daddy would so much like this!" and it just makes me feel good.

Okay, SL, you need to come to Cascadia this summer and tole paint with me. I have all the stuff and we can just hang out and play!

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Okay . . . it's been over a week . . .